So... I thought I could list the chain of events that led to having the third member of our family: Ilan. Six months after Caleb and I got married we decided it was time to start trying to get pregnant. Luckily, I got pregnant right away. For some reason I always thought I would have problems conceiving but I was in for a surprise. I remember sitting in the bathroom just starring at the home pregnancy test and thinking "WOW, now what?" I couldn't wait to have a big belly to be able to wear maternity clothes. Obviously, I didn't know what I was wishing for because now I have to lose all the extra weight I gained. I was fortunate to only be sick for about six weeks, I had no appetite. As soon as I was done with my first trimester that thing called hunger came back and I was eating 24/7. I first felt the baby around 18 weeks, it was amazing!
At 20 weeks we knew we were having a boy. I must admit I was not mentally prepared to receive those news. I was sure I was having a girl I made the radiologist double check the ultrasound, but the evidence was there, between his little hand. It was hard to come up with boy names but after much deliberation we came up with Ilan. The first name came from the winner of the second season of the TV show "Top Chef" and the middle name we both just liked it.
I didn't have any complications during my pregnancy and by 37 weeks I was ready to have my baby.
I tried to walk as much as I could...bla bla bla I guess I have ADD cause I am tired of typing this entry.
To make this story short, Ilan was due on August 4. That day we went to visit my family in Brentwood. I felt uncomfortable there, I probably had 4 contractions there so I was ready to come home. Once we got home I couldn't sleep because the contractions were more strong and constant. We got to the hospital at 5:30 a.m. At 6:00 a.m. I was 3-4 cm dilated. We did some walking, rocking, I even took a shower there to speed labor. The pain was so unbearable that I had to get the magnificent invention of mankind called the epidural around 12 p.m. I was a happy camper after that. Unfortunately my labor slowed down after that so the midwife decided to break the amniotic sac around 1 p.m. That didn't work either so Pitocin was started around 2:00 p.m. The dose was increased every 15 minutes until I was ready to push. I only pushed for 45 minutes and the best thing about it was that I had NO pain!
Ilan was 8 lbs 7.8 oz. Caleb caught him as he was coming out, he also cut the cord. None of us cried like I thought we would, I think it was because we were in shock. I couldn't believe he was my baby, that I was a mom, that I was no longer pregnant, that I had a baby. It was a surreal moment.
Tuesday, September 25, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment