Saturday, February 28, 2009

New Baby

I had mild contractions early Saturday but they went away, that was disappointing! We took Ilan to the park and while he played, I walked. I had several spaced-out contractions during the day which made me think it was too late to have a baby on Saturday. I walked again for about 30 minutes before dinner, alone, out in the cold. Poor me, I was desperate!
Then around dinner time, the contractions came back, now they more regular and strong. My sister Betty was at home just in case I needed to go to the hospital then. I was so ready to go to the hospital but Caleb kept saying "they are not quite 5 minutes apart." I was getting a little mad. I wanted him to experience the pain to see if he would want to wait until they were exactly 5 minutes apart! Anyway, we arrived at the hospital at 9:30 pm. I was checked and was 8 cm dilated. They were hurrying to get me to my room and set everything up. I was asked whether or not I wanted the epidural, I had considered it in the past; but now that my contractions were so close and strong, I wanted it. I feared they would tell me it was too late to get it, but the anesthesiologist showed up really fast and started the procedure. I only had one contraction during the insertion of the catheter and about four or five moderate contractions after the catheter was in. Then I was in heaven! No pain at all, I pushed for about 30 minutes and my baby was out.
My birthing experience was so much better with this baby. I wasn't so tired, it was faster, and I knew what to expect. The most important thing was that my baby was healthy and beautiful. We also went home the next day mostly because we missed our son and our bed.

Liam Tyler was 8 lbs. 5 oz. 21 1/2 inches

7 comments:

Fox's x 3 said...

Let me be the first, on your blog, to say Congratulations! He is so cute and I love the name Liam. I had looked on your blog 2 day ago and was anxious to see if you had your baby yet and there he was! thanks for the pictures.

Amber Carter said...

Awwwe... He's adorable! I'm glad you had a good experience for this labor. The recovery is so much better on the second birth too, I think. Doesn't it feel good to hold your baby and not be pregnant anymore!!! When can we come over?

Tristen said...

Wow!! Congratulations! You are such a beautiful mom, and it sounds like you handled the birth perfectly! I laughed about Caleb and waiting for exactly five minutes apart, husbands are so funny. But congratulations, good luck these next few weeks!

The Bay Area Homs said...

Yeah! I'm so glad you had a good delivery. Liam is so cute and you look great. We're ready for a visit whenever you are. Just let us know and we'll bring dinner!

Rachel said...

Congratulations, a new baby is always a sweet experience. I am glad the second delivery was better than your first. Enjoy life with two little ones.

Amy said...

I'm glad it went so well for you!

Paty said...

So cute! I can't wait to meet him in person