Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Dineyland

 We actually planned the trip to Disneyland a day before we left. Bought tickets and booked the hotel just a couple of hours before leaving and managed to not forget anything...important. The trip there was smooth, the kids napped for a long time, woke up right before dinner, and I managed to keep them entertained the rest of the way (that part was not as easy because I had to constantly turn around to hand toys they dropped over and over again).








Sleeping in the same room was not as pleasant as I would have thought. Sleeping with mom and dad seemed too fun for Ilan who was not ready to go to sleep when we were (each child sleeps in their own room at home). We were so tired every night but Ilan kept getting out of bed to wonder around the room. I was afraid he would get out of the room or open the balcony door (we stayed on the 11th floor at the Sheraton. Next time I'll ask for a room on the first floor). One night I woke up and noticed he wasn't in bed (I had given up on calling him to come to bed), I found him asleep on the floor, parallel to the door. It seemed he was looking for the only strip of light he could see in the room and fell asleep there. Another night, I couldn't find him anywhere in the room until I looked behind the curtains, he was all balled up, again probably because he could see the outside lights through the glass.


The wait for the rides was not too bad, the maximum we waited was about 20 minutes; but when you have little kids, 20 minutes seems more like an eternity. During the wait, it was hard to entertain them, carry them, keep them from getting dirty or eating stuff off the floor...exhausting.




They both hated the 3D Bugs Life ride at California Adventures. It's such a cool show, I thought they would have liked it, but instead they screamed and cried the whole time. Ilan got scared a lot, Liam not so much because he was being held.
It was great to get out of the house and have this mini vacation but if I had to do it again...I probably wouldn't! I would have waited a little more once both boys were older and independent. If you're planning a trip like this I recommend a few things:
1) Take plenty of distractions for the road: DVD, movies, iPhone, toys, books, snacks, drinks, etc.
2) Take only the necessary.
3)Pack lightly.
4)Take your smallest/lightest camera.
5)Take advantage of the Fast Pass.
6)Go with family or friends.
7)Take your most comfortable shoes.
8)Have fun!

2 comments:

Paty said...

I'm glad you guys had fun. Maybe next time we'll join you guys, but it will have to be in a couple of years. :)

Amber Carter said...

It was nice when we went with another couple or with Jason's parents. We were able to enjoy more because we had help. Did you ever use the pass were one parent can wait in line to go on the ride while the other waits and then when you swap, the 2nd parent gets on immediately, no wait. That came in handy for us when it was something the baby couldn't go on.